Published on November 5th, 2014 | by Kristen Swain0
Aluminum Duct Vintage Pumpkins
I have seen these Aluminum Duct Vintage Pumpkins for several years,
and I wanted to make them in the worst way.
But, I wanted mine to be unique looking.
I have seen them left the original silver color, or painted orange to really make you think they are pumpkins.
But, I wanted different. Unique. VINTAGE.
Of course, I bought a bunch of spray paint. ‘Cause I’m all about that.
First off, when you buy your duct work, it comes in a 4-foot section, and it’s a 6-inch round diameter.
You have to be extra careful with the ends. Have you ever cut yourself on aluminum. Sharp!!
I began by stretching my duct. Just gently and evenly pull it apart. It’s kind of slinked together.
Once it is all the way opened, I measured roughly half, and used a pair of scissors to cut around. I got two pieces.
The end will be a more solid piece, and you’ll need a pair of pliers with a cutter on them to cut that thicker part.
Gently then, I put the two open edges together. It looked like a giant doughnut.
Oh, sorry! Once I had the two ends together and could tuck one inside the other, I used hot glue to keep them solidly together.
I let the hot glue cool, then used a heat gun to make the glue less gloopy.
Take them outside and spray paint them. Or you can paint just one. I used flat white to spray both of mine.
Once they were dry, I watered down some brown acrylic paint and painted them generously.
Just mix your paint to a ratio of about ¼ paint to ¾ water. Stir it well, and glop that all over. You will have to brush it around to get it down into the ridges.
I apologize for not having more photos of the creating process. My camera died on me during this project. Some of the images were lost.
But I got a new camera and am ready for photos now.
I can walk you through the steps.
We sized some logs and found ones that fit snugly into the open space of the hole.
After the pumpkin was totally dry, I used hot glue and secured it from the underside.
Then, I wrapped some rope around the stem where it met the duct.
While I was painting the duct white, I also bought some flowers and a bunch of leaves from the dollar store.
I cut the leaves off the stems, and left the flowers on, so that I could spray paint them.
What I adore is the soft color that barely shows through in both the leaves and the flowers.
I added a little of the brown wash to the flowers and let them dry.
I then cut off the flowers from the stem, and hot glued them onto the pumpkin.
I tucked the leaves under the flowers on both sides and hot glued them in place as well.
To make the vines, I used some thick twine I bought and just looped it and stuck it into place with hot glue.
Carefully, I then took my heat gun and just let it melt away the strings left from hot glue. Careful! you can heat too much and your vine will come off.
Not that that happened to me…..