Published on August 14th, 2015 | by Kristen Swain7
Wine Bottle Plant Watering Stakes
I am always saving my empty wine bottles. They are too lovely and useful to toss or put in the recycling can.
And if you are familiar with me and this blog, you know that I adore those flat vase filler marbles that I buy at the dollar store. You can also buy them in more color varieties at the craft store.
Add a little silicone glue, and I am in heaven. I will glass marble bedazzle everything outside!
I have to admit, I kind have a black thumb. Not much that I plant or try to grow makes it. Not because of me, but in spite of me, these flowers ended up getting nicely big for the last couple of weeks in my planters. These planters are resting on each side of my garage doors and not much survives in them. The garage seems to shield them from a lot of weather, but it also keeps them from getting all that natural watering that would keep my plants happy and healthy.
I try to hand water them when I see them shriveling, but I often forget. So I thought about a solution to the problem – plant watering stakes – specifically, Wine Bottle Plant Watering Stakes.
Well, these are my version of them. These types of watering stakes were popular a few years ago, and while I think those store-bought ones are lovely, they really don’t hold enough water for a large planter like mine. However, a regular wine bottle only needs to be refilled weekly, and that is great because I won’t miss out if I refill them once a week.
To make this, you will need an empty wine bottle (white or red – your choice) and some SILICONE glue. This is found in with caulk and yes, it’s weather proof. DO NOT USE E6000. ONLY use this type of silicone clear caulk.
And, of course, you will need your choice of glass marbles.
I began with the bottom row, putting a bead of caulk in a thick line at the bottom of the bottle.
Go all the way around. Then begin working your way up the bottle.
Add on row by row. They won’t line up perfectly, and I don’t worry about little spaces between.
Once I had the bottle full of marbles, I rolled it around on some scrap paper (I keep a pad for a clean working space on my desk). Rolling it adhered all the stones a little more and allowed me to work all the way up to the neck of the bottle.
I made sure none of the adhesive was sticking to the paper, and I allowed it to dry overnight.
The next morning, I turned the bottle over, and added more stones to the bottom. Eventually it will be the top so I wanted it decorated.
Then I left the bottle propped up in a bucket with weight to it, and let the bottle cure for several more days.
Next it was time to add water to the bottle, and stick it outside into my planter.
I moved it several times to get a good spot on it and to make sure it didn’t pour out. Then it was all set.
Now my flowers will be extra happy and hopefully give me weeks of fragrant blooms.
If not, at least the bottle is plenty colorful and will look nice sticking out of the planter among the greenery!